[Samba] PDC appears to be BDC in server manager

Martin Brook lists.martin at brookfamily.org.uk
Sat Feb 10 21:46:00 GMT 2007

Hi all

I'm a relative newcomer to samba, having a few problems with what I
thought would be a fairly straightforward migration from an NT4 to a
Samba PDC.

Summary of what I've done so far:

* Set up samba on a second PC and configured it as BDC.
* VAMPIREd all of the accounts across to the BDC.
* Shut down original NT PDC, installed Linux + Samba on same hardware.
* Promoted second PC to PDC by modifying smb.conf appropriately.
* Copied contents of /var/lib/samba, /etc/samba, and unix accounts
across to new samba installation on the original PDC, and shut down
samba on second PC.

At this point I went off and messed around configuring shares,
printers etc. Everything seemed to be working fine.

However, when I try to run User Manager or Server Manager on one of
the domain workstations to manage the domain, I'm getting error
messages - 'could not find domain controller for this domain' or
similar.

Also, in Server Manager the PDC is shown as "Windows NT backup" rather
than "Windows NT Primary". Any attempts to promote, and I get 'access
denied'.

I've spent the afternoon trying to get to the bottom of this, but I
can't. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Martin