[Samba] FreeBSD and Winbind

Chris Hall chris.hall at halldom.com
Sat Feb 10 12:07:34 GMT 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007  (jhall at vandaliamo.net) wrote
>I'm hoping this is an easy question, but the way my day has gone I
>seriously doubt it is going to be.
>
>Today, I installed Samba 3.0.24 with winbind support on my FreeBSD 6.2
>server.  I am able to join my domain and get information concerning groups
>and passwords from the domain controller (Windows 2003) without any
>problem.
>
>Where I have run into a problem is using getent to get a copy of the
>usernames/passwords and groups moved to the Samba machine.  When I run
>getent, only information from the local passwd and group files is
>displayed.  Which leads me to believe this is an nsswitch problem.

I had a similar problem when adding a Samba Domain Server to a network
with a Samba PDC...

'wbinfo -u/-g' produced a list of domain user/group names, but getent
only produced the local names.

AFAICS when winbind is responding via NSS it is filtering according to
the valid and invalid user settings in the [GLOBAL] section of the local
smb.conf.

I have a domain called RHEA.  The new Samba Domain Server is AUREUS. The
following entry in [GLOBALS] in the smb.conf for AUREUS did the trick:

   valid users = "+RHEA\domain admins" "+RHEA\domain users" \
                 "+RHEA\domain guests"

Noting that I haven't changed the "winbind separator" from the default.

Chris
--
Chris Hall