[Samba] Howto setup printing with Windows XP Clients, cups and samba..

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Feb 9 18:32:45 GMT 2007

Patrick,

I can't remember if you posted your Samba version or not.  If you are
using a Samba version between 3.0.11 and 3.0.22, you will need to add
"enable privileges = Yes" to the global section.  The default was
changed from No to Yes in 3.0.23.  If this isn't the issue, I'm running
out of ideas.  Also, see link at bottom of post for cupsaddsmb/adobe
driver problem.

Dale

schönfeld / in-medias-res.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> okay. With your help I'm a step further, but the problem itself
> persists. In fact something must have gone wrong, when i added PrintOP
> privileges to the admin user, cause it didn't have the flags I've added.
> Now the Admin User does have the necessary privileges:
>
> majestix-linux:~# net -U Administrator rpc rights list Administrator
> [2007/02/09 11:28:30, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2698)
>   Unknown parameter encountered: "privileges"
> [2007/02/09 11:28:30, 0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(3428)
>   Ignoring unknown parameter "privileges"
> Password:
> SeMachineAccountPrivilege
> SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
> SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
> SePrintOperatorPrivilege
> SeAddUsersPrivilege
> SeDiskOperatorPrivilege
>
> The user is in the right group to be a Domain Admin. SID of the Domain
> Admins group is correct. Writing to the print$ share is possible.
>
> What else could be the problem?
>
> Patrick
>
> schönfeld / in-medias-res.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Dale,
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> thanks for your good explanations. I will try to follow them in order to
>> get driver upload working properly.
>>
>> Thanks and best Regards
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> Dale Schroeder wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget to enable the privilege to add printers as described in
>>> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/rights.html#id341486
>>> .  Required for cupsaddsmb with postscript drivers, or to directly
>>> upload windows drivers to a raw CUPS queue.
>>>
>>> Dale

    Hi there,

    > slowly but sure I'm getting absolutely *insane* with the
    > printer setup on a *Samba* PDC. I got Cups to work. It works
    > like a charm if someone *installs* a printer via the cups
    > *interface*. It also prints *in* a good quality. On *Samba* side I
    > even have those "Printers and fax devices" *in* the visible
    > shares. And if i *install* CUPS6 Drivers manual on the target
    > system i can even print on the printers *in* there. Everything good.
    > But how do i get drivers uploaded to my *samba*, so that it
    > works to download them automatically on the clients. And
    > which drivers should i take? I've tried to add the cups
    > drivers with cupsaddsmb, but that fails because this util is
    > searching for adobe postscript drivers.**

**You can use MS postscript files: ps5ui.dll, pscript.hlp, pscript ntf,
and pscript5.dll.
They can be copied from any Windows machine that has a postscript
printer installed.
See:  http://www.cups.org/doc-1.2/man-cupsaddsmb.html .