[Samba] Vista password being rejected on share security mode

Lee Devlin lee810 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 13:31:23 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:07:58AM -0600, Schaefer Jr, Thomas R.
> wrote:
>>
>> Using your patch and Vista, if I'm logged into Vista as someone other
>> than username schaefer and go Start -> Run -> \\stercus\schaefer it
>> won't connect, even if the current Vista user's password is the same
>> as schaefer's password on stercus.  So, then Vista prompts me for a
>> username and password, I can enter schaefer and schaefer's correct
>> password, it still won't be able to connect.
>
> I need to see a debug level 10 of this from a machine with
> the patch applied. This might be a bug, I'm not sure yet.
>
>> What does work is if I'm logged into Vista as someone other than
>> username schaefer I can right click My Computer, get into the "map
>> network drive" dialogue, and in that dialogue I can specify a drive
>> letter, \\stercus\schaefer, and, this is the key, click "Connect
>> using a different user name" specify schaefer and schaefer's
>> password on stercus and then the drive maps successfully.
>>
>> Eagerly awaiting any comments you might have.  Again, thankyou for
>> the patch, at least I have some funtionality now.
>
> I think this is by design on Vista. The key is that Vista
> does the sessionsetup as user name "schaefer" until you
> select the ""Connect using a different user name". We
> cache the user sent in the sessionsetupX call.

With the patch for Vista share level security, I have found the following
behavior when attempting to connect with start->run  \\server\\sharename :

On WinXP,  the username is greyed out and not editable.  I can get in with
just the password.

On Win2K, the username can be entered or left blank, and as long as the
password is correct, it lets me in no matter what I type in the username
field.

On Vista, the username must be entered, or it won't even attempt to connect
and the username must be the share name and sent along with the correct
password.

-Lee Devlin