[Samba] Howto setup printing with Windows XP Clients, Cups and samba..

"schönfeld / in-medias-res.com" schoenfeld at in-medias-res.com
Thu Feb 8 10:02:06 GMT 2007

Hi there,

slowly but sure I'm getting absolutely insane with the printer setup on
a Samba PDC. I got Cups to work. It works like a charm if someone
installs a printer via the cups interface. It also prints in a good
quality. On Samba side I even have those "Printers and fax devices" in
the visible shares. And if i install CUPS6 Drivers manual on the target
system i can even print on the printers in there. Everything good.
But how do i get drivers uploaded to my samba, so that it works to
download them automatically on the clients. And which drivers should i
take? I've tried to add the cups drivers with cupsaddsmb, but that fails
because this util is searching for adobe postscript drivers. I then
tried to install the adobe postscript drivers, but it's hard to find a
package which can be extracted just like it is and it is even harder to
find out what these damn .exe does install.

Then: I searched those files, that cupsaddsmb is accessing on a windows
xp system and installed them to cupsaddsmb's source folder. That worked
for running it successful. I'm also able to connect windows xp printers,
  but printing is a catastrophe. It's like someone has thrown the
letters in a random order on the paper.

I also tried to install drivers by usage of the (Domain-) Administrator
account on a windows xp system, but i keep getting messages that i do
not have the permission to do so :-(

What do i do wrong?

See testparm output below.

Greets and Thanks in advance

Patrick

Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[Temp]"
Processing section "[Privat]"
Processing section "[Archiv]"
Processing section "[firma.in-medias-res]"
Processing section "[firma.rotas]"
Processing section "[firma.mcity]"
Processing section "[firma.returnit]"
Processing section "[install]"
Processing section "[printers]"
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

[global]
        workgroup = IMR
        server string = majestix
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
        log level = 3
        printcap name = CUPS
        cups server = 192.168.2.120
        show add printer wizard = No
        add user script = /usr/bin/ldapadduser '%u' sambausers
        rename user script = /usr/bin/ldaprenameuser '%uold' '%unew'
        delete user script = /usr/bin/ldapdeleteuser '%u'
        add group script = /usr/bin/ldapaddgroup '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/bin/ldapdeletegroup '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/bin/ldapaddusertogroup '%u' '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/bin/ldapdeleteuserfromgroup
'%u' '%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/bin/ldapsetprimarygroup '%u' '%g'
        add machine script = /usr/bin/ldapaddmachine '%u' sambamachines
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon drive = J:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 255
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=intra,dc=in-medias-res,dc=com
        ldap group suffix = ou=groups
        ldap machine suffix = ou=hosts
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=intra,dc=in-medias-res,dc=com
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap user suffix = ou=users

[netlogon]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/netlogon
        read only = No

[profiles]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/Profiles
        valid users = %U, "@Domain Admins"
        force user = %U
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No
        csc policy = disable
        root preexec = /opt/domain/bin/create_profile.sh '%u'

[Temp]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/Temp
        read only = No

[Privat]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/Home
        read only = No

[Archiv]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/archiv
        read only = No

[firma.in-medias-res]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/firma.in-medias-res
        read only = No

[firma.rotas]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/firma.rotas
        read only = No

[firma.mcity]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/firma.mcity
        read only = No

[firma.returnit]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/firma.returnit
        read only = No

[install]
        path = /mnt/srv/data/firma.returnit
        read only = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = Administrator, schoenfeld, root
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = root, schoenfeld, Administrator