[Samba] Re: Mac OSX doesn't retain file timestamp when copying to SAMBA share

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:25:53 GMT 2007

I had a similiar issue recently, also on Solaris.  I was running samba
3.0.14a.

The clients where Win XP but anyhow a programmer that uses a share
noticed one day that one of the timestamps of a file she was copying from
somewhere else lost its timestamp.  In general though we could copy files
over to the share and the timestamps would be retained fine.

After lots of experimentation I finally figured out the culprit was when
she was copying over top an existing file and she was not the owner of
the existing file.  She had permission to clobber over the file via her
group permission but in that specific case, clobbering over a file she didn't
actually own, the file copied would get a fresh timestamp.

The first thing I did was try Samba 3.0.23d to see if perhaps
it was fixed in that version.  Lo and behold it was, the issue went away
immediately upon upgrading to 3.0.23d.

Tom Schaefer