[Samba] Vista password being rejected on share security mode

Schaefer Jr, Thomas R. tom at umsl.edu
Wed Feb 7 16:07:58 GMT 2007

Hi Jeremy,

First of all, thank you for sending us the patch!

I applied it yesterday and have been testing, it mostly works ok but let
me tell you the unexpected behavior I've found..

With Windows XP, and any other client I've ever used, it doesn't matter
which, if any, username the client sends to my share level security
Samba servers.
I specify the username for them with the "username =" smb.conf parameter
and whatever the client sends me is irrelevant.

In the [HOMES] section, I've got a couple directives..

username = %S
valid users = %S

Say I've got a UNIX user schaefer on the Samba server stercus.
With WinXP I can go Start -> Run -> \\stercus\schaefer and irregardless
of what username I'm currently logged into WindowXP with I'll connect to
stercus as schaefer if schaefer's password is the same as my current
WinXP user's password or if not I'll be prompted for a password where I
can just put schaefer's password and presto I'm connected to stercus as
schaefer.

Using your patch and Vista, if I'm logged into Vista as someone other
than username schaefer and go Start -> Run -> \\stercus\schaefer it
won't connect, even if the current Vista user's password is the same as
schaefer's password on stercus.  So, then Vista prompts me for a
username and password, I can enter schaefer and schaefer's correct
password, it still won't be able to connect.

What does work is if I'm logged into Vista as someone other than
username schaefer I can right click My Computer, get into the "map
network drive" dialogue, and in that dialogue I can specify a drive
letter, \\stercus\schaefer, and, this is the key, click "Connect using a
different user name" specify schaefer and schaefer's password on stercus
and then the drive maps successfully.

Eagerly awaiting any comments you might have.  Again, thankyou for the
patch, at least I have some funtionality now.

Tom Schaefer
University of Missouri Saint Louis