[Samba] upgrade 3.04 to 3.0.23d ?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Feb 6 23:22:10 GMT 2007

Greets again, samba-users,

been offlist for quite a while now, Samba worked OK for me ...

I am currently researching a problem on a server that hasn't been
updated for years as it seems.

Suse 9.1, Samba-rpm samba3-3.0.4-5 ...

The problem is that files (that have been stored by Windows-clients via
Samba) backed up by Amanda can't be restored correctly, as it seems this
especially hits files with umlauts in their names.

I have upgraded the OS as far as possible, and retested backup/restore
without success. (yes, I contacted the amanda-devs, they don't know the
solution yet)

Now my next step would be to upgrade Samba to the latest available rpm
from sernet.de, which would mean a straight upgrade from 3.04 to 3.0.23d.

Is this breaking anything?
Should I take care of something special when I do this?

Y'know, backup isn't reliable there currently ;)

Please let me know, sorry, if this question is an FAQ, as I mentioned I
haven't been following this list for quite a while and this problem is
pretty urgent to my customer.

Thanks a lot, greets,
Stefan