[Samba] Disapearing Drives: Urgent help needed

Ron Garcia-Vidal ghstwrtr at evilgenius.net
Tue Feb 6 16:25:37 GMT 2007

Seriously, I realize the below post doesn't have all the necessary info
to diagnose the problem, but I'm not even sure where to look for more
info.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=====================================

I have been having a problem with my Samba server for about a month now
and need help.  I am having users mysteriously losing access to drives
during the day.  The drive will un-map itself and any further attempt to
access it through wither Windows Explorer or just typing the UNC in the
"Run" window will result in a "Drive or path not accessible" error.  On
the samba side, nothing shows up in the logs on subsequent connections,
so I'm unsure how to diagnose what the problem is.  Attempts to access
the share from another machine as the same user are successful.

The fix for this seems to be, either reboot the client (less preferable
because the user gets upset) or restart the smbd on the server.  Either
way, subsequent share access is restored.  Unfortunately, this problem
is reoccurring several times a day and I find myself restarting samba
about 4-5 times daily.  This has reached a crisis point, so any help
would be appreciated.

In terns of samba version, this problem first appeared when I upgraded
to samba_3.0.23d-2+b1 (on Debian Testing).  Subsequently, I rolled back
to samba_3.0.23c-1, but the problem still persisted.  I have since
upgraded to samba_3.0.23d-4, and am still having this problem.  Please help!