[Samba] Reference Documentation Server

- Reyneke reynekejunk at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:12:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to get samba (v3.0.23d) going on an embedded system. Our initial
requirement is to get a very simple windows share operational. No security
required, read only anonymous access. With this in mind we followed the
guidelines as per the samba documentation:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/StandAloneServer.html#simplynice

Samba (smbd) crashes with a "failed to get pdb methods for backend guest"
message. After searching the mail archives I have my doubts as to whether
the conf line "passdb backend = guest" is correct. Tried "tbdsam" but then I
run into all kinds of access challenges from the clients.

Because this is an _embedded_ system with limited user management, we want
samba to ignore all access operations. I.e. don't do any PAM, Unix
user/password checks. Just allow read access to the directory from any
Windows client/domain/workgroup. What is the simplest way of achieving this?
What are the etc/passwd file requirements? Anything else we need?

[global]
workgroup = MYGROUP
netbios name = MYSERVER
security = SHARE