[Samba] Connection dropped when copying large files toa SambaServer

Mon Feb 5 19:40:13 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:57:37AM -0500, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> But SAMBA showed in the stack dump during the crash (and this system was
> running stable for months - and crashed during our first big samba
> transfer).
>
> I suppose you are right technically...but it points a big finger at Samba

Sure, we're kind of used to that. Samba tends to use
features of OS'es that apparently many other applications
don't excercise so much. One of the more recent (user-level,
not kernel-level) crashes of smbd turned out to be a
segfault in the Fedora NIS+ libs, I could easily reproduce
it with a 5-line C program. But Samba got the blame.

I'm not saying that Samba does not have bugs, no way! Just
look at the 3.0.24 release announcements. But a kernel crash
is a kernel crash. No app should be able to crash a kernel
except when being root and *deliberately* evil. And I do
know that Samba is *not* deliberately evil :-)

Volker