[Samba] Samba-3.0.23c kernel lock problems with new Redhat kernel 2.6.9-42.0.8

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 2 16:05:04 GMT 2007

Olm,

What are the details (OS/type, etc.) of the NFS server that you are
mounting these resources from?   Is it possible that you are mounting
an older 32 bit NFS service from a system that is evidently 64 bit capable?

-D

At 09:45 AM 2/2/2007, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>We run samba-3.0.23c on some Redhat RHEL4 servers, and Samba used to work
>like a charm.  But then a couple of days ago we upgraded the kernel
>on the Samba servers to kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL.  All of a sudden
>our Windows users could not use Microsoft Office with files on the
>Samba shares :-(
>
>Our filesystems are actually NFS-mounted by the Samba server from
>another server, and the Samba server showed these log entries:

>With the previous kernel kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL there were no
>such problems !  The Redhat kernel Release Notes
>    https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2007-0014.html
>do not mention any changes that seem to be related to Samba or NFS or locking.
>
>Fortunately I found this article
>    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-October/126638.html
>where Jeremy recommends to use "posix locking = no", and indeed
>this fixes the problem !
>
>Hopefully these observations can help others, but a real solution
>to the problem would be most welcome !
>
>--
>Ole Holm Nielsen
>Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759