[Samba] Domain logons and client IP broadcasts

Sherwood Botsford sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
Thu Feb 1 17:37:39 GMT 2007

Sebastian Held wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 schrieb Sherwood Botsford:
>
>> Why does stopping ip broadcasts break domain logons, but not
>> browsing shares?
>>

> Did you specify a WINS server for all clients (pointing to your PDC)?

Network Properties -> TCP/IP -> Wins
is set to use dhcp settings for NetBIOS.

Contents of lmhosts on the samba server (PDC):
192.168.1.241  conan
192.168.1.241  SJSA
192.168.1.242  postie

************
Samba version 2.2.8a (Yeah, I know; I've 3.0.23 on a test box.)
Running on Freebsd 4.5 (The test box is 6.1)

client Computer set to stomp broadcasts:
  -> Domain Logins don't work.

client Computer set to allow broadcasts (In and out from
192.168.1.255)
     dhcp server options
           netbios-node-type = 2
          netbios-name-server = incorrect IP
     samba options ion PDC
         wins support = no
         wins server = IP of PDC
-> Doman Logins don't work.

   dhcp server options
        netbios-node-type = 8
        netbios-name-sever = incorrect IP
   samba
        wins support = yes
        # wins server
-> Domain logons work.

dhcp server options
        netbios-node-type =2
        netbios-name-sever = PDC IP
   samba
        wins support = yes
        # wins server
-> Domain logins don't work

Won't swear that the above is accurate.  As the entire IT
department at
my school, I'm very much interrupt driven.

Obviously I've not tried every combination yet.

Go to a client, log in, run ipconfig.
Client has correct WINS server.

What am I missing?