[Samba] Driver installation fails on samba server

Joachim Kieferle joakie at fab.fh-wiesbaden.de
Mon Dec 31 10:11:27 GMT 2007

Dear list,

since days I am trying to install several HP-drivers from a XP client on
the samba server (DC) - 3.0.28 on OpenSuse 10.3.

Installing the drivers contained in Windows works.
Installing drivers from a disk (e.g. for a Designet 4000) does NOT work.
It says "Driver for Designjet .... could not be installed. Access
denied". It is however creating a directory under W32X86 named
__SKIP_xxxx (where xxxx are different figures e.g. 00DA).

Linux-permissions at W32X86 are set to 777.
The directory named __SKIP_xxxx  is created as "drwxrwxr-x root ntadmin
....", so as admin root there should be sufficient access.

Even log level 10 didn't show me any hints. I changed to different
smb.conf settings, etc.

Did anybody of you experience a similar problem and has a solution?

Best

Joachim