[Samba] password

Andrea Bencini andrea.bencini at tin.it
Sat Dec 29 16:34:09 GMT 2007

> SWAT's help files are a good resource, as shown below.
>
> Dale

I will explain you my question.
I have installed samba-3.0.28-0 like PDC and I have only some  Xp prof
clients.
In "global" section of smb.conf I have set
passdb backend = tdbsam
unix password sync = no
encrypt password = yes

I have NOT set  "passwd program" and "passwd chat"
Then, with pdbedit, I have set password expired.
I can change the password, when it is expired, from Xp prof client.

The question is:
Are "passwd program" and "passwd chat"  part of the suit to change the
password?
I have NOT used them, but I can change anyway the passwords; then when
should I use
them? In which situation?
Thanks
Andrea