[Samba] Access to shares too slow

Fri Dec 28 18:10:56 GMT 2007

Martin Mielke, on 12/28/2007 12:11 PM, said the following:
> we recently moved our offices to a bigger place. Therefore all our
> servers and network electronic had to be turned off... :)
>
> Well, I know it sounds odd but after the move Samba is much slower
> serving the shares and users have to wait ages for the information to be
> copied or moved across the network. In some cases, Windows desktops seem
> to freeze until the data is retrieved from the Samba server where the
> shares are hosted...
>
> Nothing has been changed nor modified. System and network configurations
> remain the same, smb.conf is the same on the server, we use the same IP
> range, gateways, etc etc.
>
> Any clues? Maybe I'm overseeing something really obvious... :-/

First, I'd be looking at any changes that were made since last reboot -
many times I've been bit by some change that doesn't get applied until a
reboot.

Other possibilities are a bad port on a switch (the one the server is
on, since its affecting everyone) or a mismatched duplex mode on either
the switch or server side of the network connection.

--

Best regards,

Charles