[Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

Vickie L. Kidder Vickie.Kidder at TABASCO.com
Thu Dec 27 20:35:36 GMT 2007

I'm trying to upload print drivers to a stand-alone samba server running
version 3.0.25.
The server is part of a workgroup (not domain).

My log files show messages that it cannot update the driver.
Before I had the printer admin option set in my smb.conf file to allow a
non-root user to do the printer admin and everything worked fine.

I have read the Samba How To Notes section on important changes since 3.x,
it says the following.
"Group mappings are essential only if the Samba server is running as a
PDC/BDC.  Stand-alone servers do not require these group mappings.".

Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do to allow a non-root
user to perform printer admin functions on a stand-alone server?