[Samba] Samba 3.0.22 and SUSE Linux 10.1

Matt Lozier mlozier at spindletopoil.com
Thu Dec 27 18:37:42 GMT 2007

Hello,

This has recently happened a couple of times on our network:

A user is working on a file stored on the Samba share, and when they go to
save it, a pop-up comes to their screen saying:

"The file 'FileNameGoesHere.xls' may have been changed by another user since
you last saved it.  In that case, what do you want to do?"

There are two options:

o Save a copy

o Overwrite changes

I did a Google search for this and found in the archives of this list that
the problem was corrected in Samba 3.0.11
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-January/098341.html), but we're
using 3.0.22 - granted the version that comes with SUSE Linux 10.1, but
3.0.22 none the less.

Anyone else run into this problem?  Microsoft has put out a KB article
acknowledging this problem, but they recommend not making any registry
changes until one is certain of the underlying cause - I don't know what's
causing this!

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

---