[Samba] Single Sign On, authentication, and Windows XP Home

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Dec 27 15:27:46 GMT 2007

On Thursday 27 December 2007, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> Not sure why you didn't use Google (apparently, as this didn't take
> me very long), but I did:
>
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/story8718.html

My experience is that that hack is relatively useless for this purpose.
The app may have improved but what I found: the user still needs a
local account and all it does is persistently apply a set of
credentials that will allow access to domain resources. Which can
easily be done with a persistent share, albeit the domain credentials
will need to be entered on startup unless the local credentials are
identical.

XP Home simply sucks, even DOS with the Workgroup Add-On can interface
with an MS Domain better. The Vista Home editions are probably just as
sucky in this regard although I haven't seen them yet.

Businesses that license the home editions are making an expensive
mistake.

--
Chris