[Samba] mount.cifs and Posix acls

Stefan Rijnhart stefan.rijnhart at milieudefensie.nl
Fri Dec 21 15:32:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

we have started to use acls in our setup, assigning user specific
permissions to directories, such as

user:stefanr:rwx
default:user:stefanr:rwx

The acls work fine on shares mounted on a Windows NT workstation, as
well as in Nautilus on an Ubuntu workstation, using the "Connect to
server" option.

However, the acls are not yet honoured when we mount the shares on our
Ubuntu workstations using mount.cifs.

We modified the kernel configuration, and are now running with
CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR=y and CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX=y. As a result, we can inspect
the acls on the Linux client using getfacl, but when we try to enter a
directory which we are supposedly allowed to, we get "Permission denied".

The samba suite on Ubuntu is configured using --with-acl-support.

Did we miss anything?

Running a Debian server with Samba version 3.0.24-6etch4, and an Ubuntu
Feisty client with a modified kernel version 2.6.20.3-ubuntu1 and smbfs
version 3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2.

Regards,
Stefan.