[Samba] notepad: LocalizedResourceName=

J jae at platinumpsi.com
Fri Dec 21 20:56:22 GMT 2007

I have notepad popping up for every user with a long message that starts
out:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

I found an explanation here:

http://www.hostingforum.ca/131016-samba-notepad-selfstart-login.html:

> What is happening is that the desktop.ini file that is normally hidden is
> having those attributes stripped off, possibly because your config
> does not
> allow the windows hidden attribute to be mapped. The change happens when
> the user's roaming profile is copied up to the server on logout and then
> copied back with the new unhidden attributes.
>
> Now that the file is visible, it is being 'run' since it is in the startup
> folder, and the default app to run an ini file is notepad.
>
> You can either delete the file or figure out what config options you
> need to
> change to allow it to remain 'hidden'. You will probably have to remove it
> on all profiles already showing the behavior since it won't get set
> back to
> hidden.
I know I can set up Samba to ignore all "." files, or even this one, in
particular, but I don't know what the ramification is to doing that.
What is the best way to stop this behavior?