[Samba] CIFS Duplicating the Mount Point

Dan N. dnnawrocki at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:17:05 GMT 2007

My file server (Debian stable; SMB 3.0.24) has several CIFS shares, one of which
is named "music".

My desktop client (Ubuntu gutsy, SMB 3.0.26a) can mount the "music" share as
either CIFS of SMBFS, but when mounted using CIFS, something very weird happens
- data in the root of the share appears in 2nd-level folders in the share when
the name is the same (using a case insensitive comparison).  When mounted Under
SMBFS, it works as expected.

For instance, I have the following directory structure:

music
 |- 311
    |- Music
       |- songs, etc.
    |- other albums, etc.
 |- other bands, etc.

When the music share is mounted using CIFS, it appears as:

music
 |- 311
    |- Music
       |- 311
          |- Music
             |- songs, etc.
 |- other bands, etc.

After a quick test, the problem seems to be with the subfolder with the same
name as the share (case insensitive comparison).  Even stranger, this issue only
appears with folders named "music" on the 2nd level: "music/music" and
"music/test1/test2/Music" both work as expected.

Do I have something misconfigured, a known issue, or a bug (or something else
entirely)?  Windows machines can use the share properly.  I can post my server's
configuration files if someone is interested.

Thanks,
Dan