[Samba] samba 3.0.28 and dropboxes

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Thu Dec 20 23:01:36 GMT 2007

All,
    I searched archives and found one related to our problem, with
subject "samba 3.0.26a and dropboxes", but there was no solution. So
posting this again for hopes of a fix.

    We have dropboxes where users can drop files in someone else's
dropbox folder.  You have write permissions but not read for the folder.
In UNIX the dropbox permision is set as 2733.  This all worked fine with
Samba 3.0.6a.  But now have upgraded to Samba 3.0.28 and
they are no longer working.

My settings for the share is:

[ens]
         comment = ENS Groups
         path = /top/admin/ENS
         valid users = +admin
         force group = admin
         read only = No
         create mask = 0770
         directory mask = 02770
         inherit permissions = Yes
         inherit acls = Yes
         inherit owner = Yes
         dos filemode = Yes

This is on Solaris 9 UFS filesystem with quotas enabled.

Thanks...

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'