[Samba] Unanswered question

Leonardo Boselli leo at dicea.unifi.it
Thu Dec 20 09:03:01 GMT 2007

On 19 Dec 2007 at 20:20 Michael Dykstra fed the net:
> How long does one have to typically wait for an answer to a post?
> (...) Didn't seem like that
>   difficult of a question, but maybe it isn't geeky enough for some.
>   (Or perhaps the answer is "No" and people are too embarrassed to
>   admit Samba can't do it.)

There is not a deterministic time ta get a reply: assume two hypothesis,
H0: there is an answer and someone know what is, whether is positive
or negative.
H1: there is an answer, many people know that there is but is not able
to give it.
on H1 the reply should _not_ come: the only answer that could come is
"i know it is possible but i do not know how" ... and this does not help a
lot.
on H0 the time is indefinite too: if the reply is not "easy" (or is even
really easy, but only few people knopw, think of an obscure setting
used only once every five years) you have to wait that your question is
noticed by someone that know what is and have the time to reply it !
Once i got an answer on a program 18 months after i posted the
question on the list (the reply was correct and useful, but in the
meantime i had decided to use another application).

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile