[Samba] Unanswered question

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Dec 20 04:27:44 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 20:20 -0800, Michael Dykstra wrote:
> How long does one have to typically wait for an answer to a post?
>   Tomorrow my message will have been up a week, and I've gotten no
> replies.
>   It was about whether a file, while it was being written to, could
> subsequently be opened by another client for reading.  I used a DVR
> with chasing play as an example.  Didn't seem like that difficult of a
> question, but maybe it isn't geeky enough for some.  (Or perhaps the
> answer is "No" and people are too embarrassed to admit Samba can't do
> it.)

Or perhaps the question is naive and the answer is: "it depends".

Samba supports locking, so if the application that is writing to a file
locks it then you may be out of luck.

>From a protocol and server point of view, however, there is absolutely
no limitation on concurrent file reading/writing.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>