[Samba] Problem with ACL and Samba

Cybionet cybionet at videotron.ca
Thu Dec 20 01:21:28 GMT 2007

Greeting Felipe,

Here a solution for your problem (I hope so). It works for me with
MSOffice 2000/2003.

First you need to set the POSIX rights before ACL(EA). These rights will
be the base for your "real" permissions.

- Create your folder, and set 2775 or 2770 permissions.
- The assign the owner and group to root:root (you will understand
shortly why).
- Now you are ready to set the ACL(EA) permissions.

The use of the 2775 permissions will gave access to the folder and his
subdirectory for the share of the files. Or use directly the 2770
permissions to limit access and share immediately your files in the folder.

The SGID define in this permission allow the group to never be change,
whatever the group of the owner who create a new file ou change a
existing file. The owner has no importance, because it will be change at
the creation ou modification of the file (it is the goal to know who
have made the change).

The share configuration, I suggest you something like this. The only
parameters very important is "force create mode = 660" and "directory
mode = 770".

[workspace]

comment = Whatever
path = /pat/to/my/folder