[Samba] SAMBA under window?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed Dec 19 14:08:23 GMT 2007

...... Original Message .......
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:17:25 +1100 "Curtis Maloney" <cmaloney at cardgate.net>
wrote:
>hce wrote:
>> Yes, you are right, there are many solutions if you are a computer
>> skilled people or at least can play anothing on the computers. I am a
>> linux user myself, I can do whatever you want to play from my linux
>> box, I don't even need windows. But what about those who can only run
>> window file system, and only simply copy or delete files from the
>> window file systm, who has no idea to intall and run window ssh, scp
>> or ftp? (please don't ask me again why I should support them.)
>
>So, instead of developing a point-and-drool remote configuration tool, or
>simple web configuration interface, you'd rather go the complex path of
mounting
>remote file systems?
>
>WHY WHY WHY are you so fixed on mounting file systems, instead of
investigating
>other options to allow untrained users to change the configuration?  Hell,
>asking your average Windows user to edit or produce a plain text file can
be
>difficult enough.
>
>I give up... you seem hell bent on mounting remote file systems, so I'll
leave
>you to figure it out.

What it seems this gentleman wants to do is to use a piece of client
software, not Samba -- I will state unequivocally that Samba is to give
Linux machines the ability to "talk Windows," not for any other purpose
that would cause one to want to install it on Windows (for example, it does
NOT allow Wndows to "talk Linux"). I think something like DriveX or or
WebDAV or something like that is really what he wants. Something that will
mount an SFTP area as a "filesystem" on Windows. This is not Samba, so
beyond offering anecdotal advice, this is the wrong mailing list.