[Samba] SAMBA under window?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Dec 19 00:41:55 GMT 2007

hce wrote:
> Let me clarify it again.
>
> (a) The key point is that the linux device is too small to install a
> large size of Samba. No question about it, if the linux device had an
> samba, the window could mount the linux device.
>
> (b) The small linux device is a dumb device, it may be configured by a
> wifi ip address, but the mount process need be start from window to
> the linux device, not the vice versa.
>
> That was the original question, samba is too large to be installed to
> a small linux device, I am looking to an alternative solution to have
> a samba to be installed in a window machine, so the window can mount
> to the linux device. But clearly, samba cannot be installed in window
> system. If you have other solution, could you please explain more.

Installing samba on the windows machine to give you access to the files of a
remote machine just doesn't make sense.  It suggest a fundamental lack of
understanding of what Samba is, and how the whole process works.

However, your core issue is you want to transfer files between some server
(which happens to be Windows) and some lightweight clients (which happen to be
Linux).

Again, without a clearer understanding of your real requirements (the WHAT, not
the HOW) it's difficult to suggest a solution.

We don't know _why_ you want to mount the file systems on the Linux devices.  Is
it so the server can update their config files?  Is it so they can pass data to
the server?  Is it for some other reason that would be better handled with a
simple daemon, instead of a file system mount?

You have not provided enough information about WHAT you want to do... only asked
questions about one possibility of HOW to do it.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net