[Samba] samba passwords and ldap + telnet..

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Dec 17 23:09:51 GMT 2007

L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is maybe not the play to ask, but i'll just ask.
> I googled a lot but im stuck..

It's not really, this is a pam-ldap issue. The fact that one of the
other servers connected to ldap runs samba is inconsequential.

> Im having samba 3.0.26a on a debian etch server with ldap.
> Im using a setup like the idealx setup. ( samba pdc + ldap )
> I have replicated my ldap database to a other server. On this server im
> having
> a database application running and my users must login
> with telnet on this server.
>
> Now my problem, Everything works perfectly, exept 1 thing.
> my samba users are unable to login on server 2 with telnet.
>
> I have the pam modules configured, but im still unable to login.
> I have no errors, execpt 1.
> this one:
> Dec 17 08:52:38 ms249-lin-005 login[1680]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as
> user "uid=testuser,ou=Users,dc=locale,dc=domain,dc=internal" (Invalid
> credentials)
> Dec 17 08:52:38 ms249-lin-005 login[1680]: (pam_unix) authentication
> failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=pts/1 ruser=
> rhost=PCNAME,locale,domain,internal"  user=testuser
> Dec 17 08:52:40 ms249-lin-005 login[1680]: FAILED LOGIN (1) on 'pts/1' from
> PCNAME,locale,domain,internal"' FOR `testuser', Authentication failure

It would appear that you are trying to bind to the LDAP server as the
authenticating user. Does this work? (Try using an ldap client,
something like LdapAdmin under Windows, and ensuring that the user can
bind and access the relevent data from the directory).

> i've spent 2 days now and im cant find my problem.
>
> I hope someone on this list know the solution.
>
> I'm using md5 as encryption in pam-ldap.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> Louis

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>