[Samba] samba upgrades deletes printer driver pointers / 3.0.24 to 3.0.28 upgrade, lost printers

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Dec 17 17:49:13 GMT 2007

Michael / Dave,

Since the two of you are having similar problems, I thought I would
respond to both at the same time.  I cannot tell from your messages if
your Samba/CUPS setup is similar to mine or not.

I started experiencing this problem on Debian lenny systems at either
3.0.26a or 3.0.27.  It has continued to 3.0.28.  In my case, it only
affected systems in which I had compiled CUPS from the sources at
cups.org.  On the systems where both packages came from Debian, I have
experienced no problems.  On the affected systems, no amount of
restarting samba and CUPS would fix the problem.  To bring them back I
had to reboot the system; and in some cases, there was a lag time after
the reboot before the printers reappeared.  I do not have an
explanation; maybe someone else can offer one.

Dale