[Samba] Problem joining linux box to active directory domain

Carlos Ramos nibau.ramos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:02:08 GMT 2007

Hello, I'm having a hard time joining one linux server to an active
directory domain. I've searched everywhere for a solution but was
unsuccessful:

I went to samba.org and followed the examples in
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
The examples are great... My scenario is described  in chapter 7
(http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...ts.html#adssdm)
It explains how to make a Linux box authenticate in a active directory
scenario. As soon as i get to the point where the box joins the
domain:

net ads join -UAdministrator%not24get

I get the error "ads_connect: No logon servers".

I searched all the logs, /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/* and found
nothing usefull.

transcript of a session:

proxy ~ # tail -f /var/log/messages &
proxy ~ # tail -f /var/log/samba/* &
proxy ~ # net ads join -Uadminusername%password
[2007/12/17 16:47:45, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup_int(286)
  ads_connect: No logon servers
Failed to join domain: No logon servers
proxy ~ #

this is my smb.conf:
[global]
        unix charset = LOCALE
        workgroup = DOMAINNAME
        realm = REALMENAME
        server string = servername
        security = ADS
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 5
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = CUPS
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind separator = +
        #template primary group = "Users"

Can anyone help? I realy don't see what I'm doing wrong.