[Samba] 3.0.24 to 3.0.28 upgrade, lost printers (name length?)

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Dec 17 00:42:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 3.0.24 to 3.0.28 on my Slackware 11.0 PDC. I
have just noticed several printers have disappeared (they still exist
and work in cups but they do not show up in the share listing on the
server and users who have them set up cannot print).

Most of the printers are still present, the ones the disappeared have
names that are 17 or more characters, the remaining printers all have
names of 15 characters or less. All of the clients are XP Pro SP2.

I found an old mailing list message (2003) mentioning a 13 character
limit when listing shares, however I don't believe this is the cause as
some of the remaining printers have names > 13 characters.

The name length is the only obvious thing that the missing printers have
in common. Is there a known difference between .24 and .28 share
name/printer name handling? and if so is there a simple way to change it
back?

--
*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>