[Samba] errors when copying large directories to/from samba/windows

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Dec 15 05:39:53 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 01:12:03PM +1100, Andreas Baitis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having trouble with Samba, when I copy large complex directories to my
> Samba server, the target doesn't match the source, some files seem to be
> missing.
>
> *Stats on source(windows client) are:*
>
> Size: 4.99 GB (5,367,477,260 bytes)
>
> Size on disk: 5.00 GB (5,376,487,424 bytes)
>
> Contains: 4,481 files, 281 folders
>

> *Stats on target(Samba server) are:*
>
> Size: 4.92 GB (5,286,067,654 bytes)
>
> Size on disk: 4.92 GB (5,287,628,800 bytes)
>
> Contains: 3,733 files, 281 folders
>

> I'm thinking it might have something to do with Windows/Linux filename or
> path length incompatibility.
>
> What Samba settings should I set to ensure this doesn't happen, and are
> there any limitations one has to adhere to with regard Windows path length
> or filename format in order to ensure directories and files are copied
> properly?
>
> The problem happens from both XP and Vista clients, the Samba server is
> standard Debian etch. Samba 3.0.24

We'll need much more info than this I'm afraid. What
directories/files are missing ? Is it repeatable ? Have
you tried with the latest 3.0.28 release ?

Pathname limits in Samba 3.0.x are 1024 bytes for the
full pathname, 256 bytes for each component.

These limits have been removed for 3.2 and it's down
to PATH_MAX on the underlying system.

Jeremy.