[Samba] SAMBA under window?

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 01:50:18 GMT 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 1:25 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know. May be I should clarify it. Samba is normally installed under
> > linux system, but some people only have window system (or they only
> > use window system), but want to the web server and Samba server are
> > installed on window so that the linux devices can talk to web server
> > and window files system to do file transfer and all other things.
> >
> > So, the question is really, can the Samba be compiled, intalled and
> > configurated under Windows?
> >
> No. You can not install samba directly on a windows machine. I still
> have no idea what you want here and what samba has to do with some web
> server.

To be hornest, I don't know either, that's why I am aking :-). But,
basically, I have many small linux devices (mobile, handset) which
want to connect to a web server, or file system in a window to
download html pages and to transfer files. Of cause, there is no Samba
in the small linux devices, it is too small to install Samba (unless
there is a small size of mini samba, please let me know if it is). So,
I've been thinking if the Samba can be installed in the Window to
allow the small linux devices to talk to window html server and to
transfer files.

Your anwser can be:

(a) Unnecessary, there are other ways to allow small linux devices to
connect to window without Samba.

(b) Impossible, Samba does not support window installation. So all the
small linux devices have to install big Samba.

(c) Possible, Samba can be compiled, installed and configurated under
window, small linux devices can connect to the window Samba.

Please which of above is correct?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim