[Samba] Problem copiyng files between folders

Davide Pasquale pasquale.davide at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:05:58 GMT 2007

Hi all!
My setup is a samba v. 3.0.25b (CentOS 5.1) file server (no PDC).
All seem ok except one thing that make me and my users crazy. Frequently
when copying files (using windows explorer) between folders of the same
share a popup raise with the message: "Network name no longer available" .
Instead copying files from client pc folders to server share and vice versa
is fine.

This problem occur on both Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows XP Home Ed. pc
client.

Here is my smb.conf:
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

workgroup = STUDIO
server string = Server Linux
netbios name = SERVER
security = user
#username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
hosts allow =
hosts deny =
smb ports = 445 139
host msdfs = no
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 2000
log level = 1
syslog = 0
passdb backend = tdbsam
os level = 33
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
;logon script = %U.bat
logon path =
logon drive =
wins support = yes

#----SHARE

[server]
   comment =  Directory condivisa comune
   path = /home/data/server
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   write list = @titolari, @utenti, root
   force group = generale
   directory mode = 0775
   force create mode = 0775

[scambio]
   comment =  Directory di scambio
   path = /home/data/scambio
   writable = yes
   browseable = yes
   write list = @generale, root
   force group = generale
   directory mode = 0775
   force create mode = 0775

 I have this kind of lines in log files:
[2007/12/11 16:01:56, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
  read_data: read failure for 23548 bytes to client 192.168.0.21.

Please give me any advice!

Davide.