[Samba] [Problem] [Centos 5] Samba-3.0.23c-2 login authentication problem

Prakash Hallalli pkh444 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 18:14:46 GMT 2007

Hello,

     I have comfigured samba-3.0.23c-2 server on CentOS-5, but when i was  logging in from the client system, even if I donot provide password and hit enter key, the client is logging in as Anonymous user. Samba server should not allow for Anonymous login. (I am configuring linux (Server) to linux (Client) i am not using windows)

1) The contents of /etc/samba/smb.conf file as follows,

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smdpasswd

[kiran]
        comment = Funda Tracking Managements Files
        path = /home/kiran
        valid users = user6
        writeable = on

2) I created user "user6" and changed password in to
   smbpassword using the following command.

#cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

3) I changed /etc/samba/smbpassword file permissions as
   follows

#chmod 600 /etc/samba/smbpasswd

4) linux client side

4a) In this step I provided User-name and Password

#smbclient -L 192.168.0.254 -U user6
password:*****
Domain=[SERVER1.PRAKASH.COM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        kiran           Disk      Funda Tracking Managements Files
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        printer1        Printer   printer1
        user6           Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[SERVER1.PRAKASH.COM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP

4b) In this step I am not providing the password to the
    user6  and just hit the enter key for password.

#smbclient -L smbclient -L 192.168.0.254 -U user6
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        kiran           Disk      Funda Tracking Managements Files
        printer1        Printer   printer1
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]

        Server               Comment
        SERVER1.PRAKASH.     Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            SERVER1.PRAKASH.COM

I tried to find answer in some mailing lists but i couldn't get, plz help me.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakash.