[Samba] Error: session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)

Stephane Russell stephane.russell at prodigeinfo.com
Mon Dec 10 07:11:55 GMT 2007

Hello,

I've just upgraded to samba-3.0.26a on my BSD machine. The older
version (3.0.22) was working right, but this version is giving me
problems. My
server is configureg with a LDAP server. When I do, for example, a
smbclient -L<server>, it gives me this output:

---
Domain=[GALAXIE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        domicile        Disk      Repertoire domicile des usagers
        groupes         Disk      Repertoire des groupes
        apps            Disk      Applications partagees
        install         Disk      Installations
        ftp             Disk      Repertoire ftp
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (DragonFlyBSD Samba Server)
        impgal01        Printer   HP LaserJet 5L
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
---

When I try a second time, it then gives me this:

---
Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)
---

I have to restart it to get the first output once. If I start winbindd,
it's showing the second output only. The configuration I'm using was
working as is, right before I upgraded. Is this issue known?

I've trie the latest version, 3.0.27, with the same results. I moved
back to 3.0.22, then everything was fine again. But sooner or later, my
samba will have to be upgraded (depedency matter), so I'm wondering what
I can do to solve that problem. LDAP version is 2.3.38.

Note: Since 3.0.22, the option ldap_compat has disapear in the
compilation options. Even if I'm using a valid LDAPv3 schema, is it
possible that it could be related in some way?

Thanks for any help.

SR