[Samba] getent passwd not adding users

Nathan VanHoudnos vanhoudn at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 7 20:32:19 GMT 2007

> wbinfo -u and wbinfo-g work well, returning a list of users and groups.
> However, when I issue 'getent passwd' my winbind log
> (/var/log/samba/winbindd.log) shows a long list of the following and no
> users are added to the passwd db;

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but getent is a query tool, not something
that you use to add entries to /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

If you wanted to use it to add entries, you'd need to do something like:
  getent passwd | grep "YOURDOMAIN+" >> /etc/passwd

But, then that would defeat the purpose of using winbind anyway.

Hope this helps,

Nathan VanHoudnos