[Samba] Guest access from Windows clients in a domain

Cader cader at cader.biz
Fri Dec 7 18:57:33 GMT 2007

I can not get guest access to work from Windows clients to a linux server.

I am running 3.0.27a
The windows clients are all in a domain and the linux server is not.

I have set security = share and I always get:
"The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

I have tried setting different guest accounts ranging from nobody, a
real user, and even a "Guest" account.
I added all of them to smbpasswd and even tried with a tdbsam backend.

I have tried log level of 3 and 10 and nothing really jumps out at me
as any fatal error.

I guess the question is can a Windows client in a domain access a
linux server that is not in a domain without a password?

smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        security = share
        encrypt passwords = Yes
#       passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully*
.
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000