[Samba] security = user, LDAP, and adding users to ACLs

Nelson Vale nf-vale at critical-links.com
Thu Dec 6 21:25:09 GMT 2007

If your Samba is running as a PDC, and you are logged in the samba domain, you
are able to list the LDAP users in the shares or files security tab, and you
don't need winbind. All you need is nsswitch.conf configured with:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#

passwd:         files   ldap
group:          files   ldap
shadow:         files   ldap

Plus ldap.conf like:

bindpw xxxxxxxx
binddn xxxxxxxxxxx
uri ldap://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
base dc=local,dc=loc
rootbinddn xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
host 127.0.0.1
ldap_version 3
scope one
ssl no
pam_login_attribute uid
pam_member_attribute gid
pam_password md5
nss_base_passwd dc=local,dc=loc?sub
nss_base_shadow dc=local,dc=loc?sub
nss_base_group ou=Groups,dc=local,dc=loc?one

In smb.conf you need to put something like:

ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap suffix = dc=local,dc=loc
ldap admin dn = cn=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap

Your LDAP must also have the default samba Domain Groups.