[Samba] My Documents Folder Redirection to Samba Share

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Dec 4 18:28:20 GMT 2007

on an XP Professional computer, Download Win2k SP4 self install package
at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001AAF1-749F-49F4-8010-297BD6CA33A0&displaylang=en

and open up a dos window (start, run, cmd), and go to where you saved it
(example, cd c:\temp) and then run W2KSP4_EN.exe -x and it will ask
where to extract to, and use a temporary directory like c:\temp2.  then
go to c:\temp3\i386 and run adminpak.msi.  it will complain "This
version of win2k admin tools pack is not compatible with this version of
windows".  ignore it and install it anyway.  then when its done, you can
start, run, poledit.exe and get the "System Policy Editor" to open up.
click on options, policy template, add c:\windows\inf\common.adm,
winnt.adm, and wuau.adm (if you use a WSUS server).  then click on file,
new policy, 2x click on default user, folder redirection, folder
location, personal.  That is their My Documents folder.  I redirect it
to r:\My Documents

(R: is their
logon drive = R:
logon home = \\SERVER\%U

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  valid users = %S
  read only = no
  browseable = No

 ) in my smb.conf.

Anyway, save the policy as NTConfig.POL and put it in the directory of
your netlogon share (for me its /var/lib/samba/netlogon) and make sure
they have permissions to read the file.

On the user's next logon their My Documents will be redirected to R:\My
Documents.  If the directory does not exit, XP will automatically create
it.  The only problem is it won't move the files the first time the
redirection happens, so your users will call you with "ALL MY MY
DOCUMENTS ARE GONE!" and you will have to go to their computer and move
c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\* to r:\my documents one
time.  Maybe you can add to logon.bat a move c:\documents and
settings\%U\my documents\* r:\my documents but I have never tried that.

Also you will probably want to log in as administrator on their computer
and open up explorer.exe and go to tools, folder options, offiline files
and synchronization and turn both off, or when they log out, it will
copy their my documents to their offline files folder.

If you need poledit templates for Vista, you can get them at
http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html

I hope my information is helpful to you.