[Samba] smbd problem with inotify

Witold Tosta witold.tosta at neostrada.pl
Mon Dec 3 20:05:21 GMT 2007

A few months ago we bought a GIS software. It is running under Windows
XP Pro. This software has stored its databases in dbf files, located on
one samba share. Executables reside on each WinXP Pro client. The
software simply uses dbf databases located on samba share. Each session
of the gis opens about 500 files. I have four workstations that are
allowed to run this software.

[kirchner]
     volume = Kirchner
     comment = GIS Software
     path = /mnt/hd0/kirchner
     browseable = yes
     case sensitive = no
     valid users = user1, user2
     write list = user1, user2

Recently I've noticed (about a few days ago) that when the user is
closing the running gis program, the program is not closing properly, it
doesn't respond and it simply hangs. User has to kill program's process
manually.

Meanwhile on samba server corresponding smbd process consumes about 100%
of cpu and fills hard disk with bunch of such user's log:

"smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234) No data on inotidy df?!"

Such log grows up very fast, and quickly consumes whole hard disk volume.

I haven't found any satisfying information concernig the meaning of this
log. I have been trying to manage this annoying problem. I took
following steps:

1. I've raised number of file descriptors in the linux system to 8129 -
this doesn't help
2. I've moved the share from one reiserfs partition to another formatted
under reiser4 filesystem.

The problem occurs less than on reiserfs, but still happens.

I have followig operation system on my fileserver:

Slackware12 running on linux-2.6.22
Samba 3.0.27a is compiled with following options (slightly modified part
of default samba.Slackbild file.)

--prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--with-configdir=/etc/samba \
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
--localstatedir=/var \
--with-lockdir=/var/run/samba \
--with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat \
--disable-cups \
--enable-shared=yes \
--with-fhs=yes \
--with-smbtorture4-path=/usr/sbin \
--with-ldap=yes \
--with-automount=yes \
--with-smbmount=yes \
--with-cifsmount=yes \
--with-quotas=yes \
--with-sys-quotas=yes \
--with-utmp=yes \
--with-libmsrpc=yes \
--with-libaddns=yes \
--with-syslog=yes \
--with-libsmbclient=yes \
--with-libsmbsharemodes=yes \
--with-acl-support=yes \
--with-aio-support=yes \
--with-sendfile-support=yes \
--with-winbind=yes

Could you tell me please what does mentioned entry of the user's log mean ?
"smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234) No data on inotidy df?!"

Thank you in advance
Witek Tosta