[Samba] ntlm_auth issue

Andy Partington andy at wilts.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 16:40:51 GMT 2007

Hi All,

  I have been scouring the net after coming to a halt whilst following
this tutorial http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/DomApps.html
and eventually thought I'd subscribe to the list for some help and
advice.

I am basically setting up a test box to get Squid to authenticate users
via Active Directory, I have had a few issues which I have sorted out
but this still has me stumped. The server has authed with the main AD
and I can get info when running wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g but moving onto
the next stage where I use ntlm_auth I receive this error:

[root at proxy-new ~]# /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --username=andy
--domain=WILTS.LOCAL

password:

could not obtain winbind separator!

Reading winbind reply failed! (0x01)

:  (0x0)

I've tried changing winbind separator with a / and * and also left it
out as it defaults to / ? but still receive this error, I expect I am
overlooking something completely but been a few hours now and head
bashing is not far around the corner. Running testparm as below
hopefully will give you any details you need and if you require any
other info please just ask!

Running RHEL5 with samba-3.0.23c-2  - Running this under VMWare if that
makes any difference.

Linux proxy-new 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jan 26 14:15:21 EST 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Connecting to a Windows 2003 R2 PDC, can ping either way via DNS names.

Many thanks in advance,

Andy Partington

[root at proxy-new ~]# testparm

Processing section "[homes]"

Processing section "[printers]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

[global]

        workgroup = HEADOFFICE

        realm = WILTS.LOCAL

        security = ADS

        password server = SVR-THEMIS.WILTS.LOCAL

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

        max log size = 50

        dns proxy = No

        idmap uid = 10000-20000