[Samba] Strange file permissions

David Lee dnl at livstones.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Dec 1 17:34:21 GMT 2007

This problem appeared to have been sorted, but came back today. I have set the directives valid
users and force group.
Any advice on what log level setting I should set to try and pick this problem up in the logs?

Is there any plans to improve the on-line help for problem solving with Samba? How about a
website/wiki with columns:

Symptom | Perform check | Action if ok | Action if fail |

where the action columns could be hyperlinked to other symptom/check lines as needed. At present it
is limited to the part V of the "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" A Wiki would allow
such a table to be easily updated, probably with answered queries from the mailing list. I regret I
do not have the available time to try working on such a project.

Mark Adams wrote:
> In my opinion even your no access folder should use a group. Make your
> lowest permissions group nogroup then add all users to the group. Then
> change smb conf user security entry to valid users = @nogroup
>
> Mark.
>

> On 26 Nov 2007, at 22:59, DNL <dnl at livstones.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Mark Adams wrote:
>>> Is sgid on the top level dir?
>> Set for subdirectory cp, but not for projects as different directories
>> at that level require no access control
>> /projects/cp# ls -al
>> total 164
>> drwxrws--- 26 dnl     cp         4096 2007-11-23 15:37 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 17 root    root       4096 2007-11-16 22:35 ..
>> drwxrws---  2 daniel  cp         4096 2007-06-18 11:52 4 Spencer Close
>> drwxrws---  2 daniel  cp         4096 2007-09-01 19:20 Addresses
>>
>>> Also have you tried force group samba option?
>> My understanding is that this would force the same group for all the
>> PROJECT share, but I only want it for a subdirectory. Am I forced into
>> making projects/cp a separate share and using this samba option?
>>> Mark.
>> Thanks for your response.
>> Dave.

Background information from earlier emails pruned.
The system id Debian Stable, up to date - including no SWAT as that depends on the earlier version
of samba-doc - work in progress, I assume.

Regards

David Lee