[Samba] Samba and OSX 10.4

Bj ø rn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Wed Aug 29 20:15:38 GMT 2007

On 17/8/07 16:20, "Kevin McIntosh" <kmcintosh at wellsmfgcorp.com> wrote:

> Is OSX 10.4.10 compatible with Samba's print server software?  My I.T. Dept
> has had no luck in getting this to work.  From what I've seen online, there
> does seem to be issues, but Samba also seems to be fully supported by Apple
> which doesn't make sense if it's not compatible.

I print from OSX through Samba all the time.  Given a unix/linux-based
server I _prefer_ working directly with cups/ipp, but printing to Samba
print shares from Mac OSX work perfectly fine.

I would suggest you point the technicians working with Samba in the
direction of this email bounce, and your technicians working with OSX in the
direction of Apple's email bounces listed at
http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo

In general, here is how to add a Samba-shared printer to a user's profile on
an OSX client:

1. System Preferences -> Print&Fax
2. Press '+' to add a printer
3. Hold down the Alt key while clicking "More Printers"
4. Choose "Advanced"
5. From the drop-down menu, choose "Windows Printer via Samba"
6. Set a name for the queue
7. Device URI should read smb://username:password@domain/server/queuename
8. Set the printer model.

Hope this helps,

Bjørn
Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.