[Samba] Domain migration from 2.2.x to 3.0.x

Atrox silver.salonen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:16:51 GMT 2007

Atrox wrote:

> Logan Shaw wrote:
>>
>> 4)  Make sure the new server has the same SID as the old.
>>      There are lots of ways of doing this, but I believe the
>>      one I used was to run "rpcclient"'s "lookupsids" command
>>      against the domain itself to get the old SID on 2.2.x, then
>>      I used "net setlocalsid" to set it on the new 3.0.22 system.
>>      Or something along those lines.  :-)
>>
>> 5)  This might or might not be necessary, but make sure the
>>      machine accounts have the same SID as before as well.
>>

> Hi.
>
> I did an upgrade a half of year ago. I'm still experiencing some weird
> login (ie. authentication) problems, so I started to guess that maybe the
> new domain's SID isn't the same as the old domain's was. But well, I guess
> I didn't read the instructions carefully, so I didn't check it in right
> time.
>
> Fortunately I still have backups of the old system (of /var and conf). Can
> I just check some file for what the old SID was?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Silver

Hm, I took a look at secrets.tdb found from backup. The first lines are:
====
{
key(19) = "SECRETS/SID/MYDOMAIN"
data(68) = "\01\04\00\00\00\00\00\05\15\00\00\...\00"
}
====

And this differs from the current one (found from secrets.tdb) indeed. So
how can I convert the sid found from secrets.tdb ("\01\04\...") to form of
"S-1-..."? And would it be a good idea? :)

Silver