[Samba] Question about samba.

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:46:02 GMT 2007

http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/?

> It looks like NMBD is in a tight loop.
> I can stop samba and start it back and it will go away for a short time.
> But, the problem comes back.

We've seen this problem too, although it only happens once a month or
so for us.  Samba 2.2.8 is *extremely* old, and I don't think that it
was ever officially ported to OpenVMS, so I'm afraid it's pretty
unlikely that we'll find a fix.  HP is working on an official port of
Samba 3.x (see http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html).
 Although it's still in testing, it could easily be more reliable than
Samba 2.2.8.  I've been meaning to test it for our office but haven't
yet had time (or a spare Alpha to test it on).

Also, you may not need to run NMBD at all.  For example, if you're
able to instead of a modern version of nmbd on a Linux or Unix box, I
think that Samba on the Alpha will work even without NMBD.  I could be
wrong, however.

Josh Kelley