[Samba] Samba 2.0.25 won't accept home directory location from ADS

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Wed Aug 29 18:48:35 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-29-08 at 12:14 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> George,
>
> > On Wed, 2007-29-08 at 10:46 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >>
> >> The unix home directory and Windows home directories
> >> are considered to be different paths.  You can experiement
> >> with mounting \\server\share as /home/domain/username
> >> using the CIFS fs on linux.
> >
> > Well maybe except one can set the profile and
> > drive map location under the "profiles" tab in
> > the users "properties" window in ADS.  So all the
> > windows servers map \\server\user\f\farris to drive
> > U: but samba always sees it as \\server\domain\farris.
> >
> > It does not seem to acknowledge the "home folder"
> > under ADS.  This is a major problem for me.  It may be just a
> > bug or it may be a missing feature.  I have tried
> > all manor of things but can seem to get it to work.
>
> Please read the docs on the "winbind nss info" parameter
> in smb.conf.

Thank you very much, "winbind nss info" has done what I need,  You won't
believe the number of times I searched the web and "man smb.conf".  I
guess this was just buried in the noise.  This might be something to add
as a header in the Samba Howto guide.

All I had to do after was rename the "[home]" section to "[users]" and
things started to work just fine.  Thank heavens for the "root prexec"
parameter.

Thank you Jerry (where do I send the beer) and to all to the Samba team,
a very fine job indeed.

Cheers

---
George Farris