[Samba] Samba 2.0.25 won't accept home directory location from ADS

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Wed Aug 29 16:45:55 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-29-08 at 10:46 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> George Farris wrote:
>
> > Now Samba handles the profile directory without problem
> > with a small script to create the folder with "root preexec",
> > however, there doesn't seem to be a way to have the home
> > mapped.  In the log files it always points to
> > /home/domain/username no matter what is set from ADS.
> >
> > Is this a feature that Samba lacks or is it a bug?
>
> The unix home directory and Windows home directories
> are considered to be different paths.  You can experiement
> with mounting \\server\share as /home/domain/username
> using the CIFS fs on linux.

Well maybe except one can set the profile and drive map location under
the "profiles" tab in the users "properties" window in ADS.  So all the
windows servers map \\server\user\f\farris to drive U: but samba always
sees it as \\server\domain\farris.

It does not seem to acknowledge the "home folder" under ADS.  This is a
major problem for me.  It may be just a bug or it may be a missing
feature.  I have tried all manor of things but can seem to get it to
work.

Basically I don't want \\server\domain\username but a custom folder for
each user:

farris for example will go to \\server\users\f\farris
smith will go to \\server\users\s\smith
543765345 will go to \\server\users\4\5\543765345

I didn't set this policy I just have to try and follow it:-(