[Samba] sambaProfilePath and sambaHomePath when adding a BDC

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa ancorgs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:12:23 GMT 2007

I have a Samba3+LDAP PDC running. I set it up long time ago following de
IDEALX howto and using smbldap-tools. The domain is called PRINCIPAL and the
PDC netbios name is SMBSERV. In my LDAP tree, users have (among others)
attributes like these:

dn: uid=bachillerato01,ou=Users,dc=guaydil,dc=prv
cn: Usuario prueba para bachillerato
sambaProfilePath: \\SMBSERV\profiles\bachillerato01
sambaHomePath: \\SMBSERV\bachillerato01

Now I have a new network segment and I want to set up a BDC being also a slave
LDAP server. I want workstations in the new network segment to take profiles,
homes and everything directly from the BDC. So three questions:

1.- I need to change the sambaProfilePath and sambaHomePath for every user in
the LDAP tree, isn't it?

2.- Would it work if I replace the above attributes with something like

  sambaProfilePath: \\%LOGONSERVER%\profiles\bachillerato01
  sambaHomePath: \\%LOGONSERVER%\bachillerato01
? Can smbldap-tools manage it?

3.- Would it be better to set all this attributes to null and use "logon home"
and "logon path" in smb.conf?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my poor English writing.

Greetings